Home energy efficiency should be a concern in both summer and winter. The Phoenix Valley area experiences a long, hot summer, which generally causes homeowners to make upgrades to save on cooling costs. However, the winter season is not an opportunity to rest on your laurels. In fact, now that the weather’s cooler, it’s an ideal time to make home energy efficiency a priority, and help you save in both seasons.
Here’s what you can do:
- Maintain your HVAC equipment – Your furnace or heat pump requires seasonal maintenance, and a fall tune-up will help your system stay dirt-free and operate efficiently over the heating season.
- Seal the ductwork – When you schedule maintenance, be sure to ask if the technician will also inspect and seal the ductwork. Leaks or gaps in the ducts allows conditioned air to escape. Additionally, the technician should identify any damaged components that need replacing, and look for ducts that should be insulated to prevent conduction losses.
- Tint the windows – Applying window film promotes a lower home cooling load during the summer, preventing the sun from heating up the home during the summer.
- Insulate – Have your local HVAC contractor assess the condition and levels of attic insulation. Improving attic insulation helps to keep your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, preventing extreme temperatures in the attic from infiltrating into the home. At the same time, effective levels of home insulation improve energy costs. Since the temperatures are cooler now, the attic space is no longer unbearably hot, making it safe to enter and perform the upgrade.
- Radiant barrier – This nifty product is applied to the attic space, preventing the radiant energy from the sun that beats down on the roof from entering the attic, which will ultimately heat up the floor of the attic and enter the home’s living spaces.
Why not give the experts at Wolff Mechanical a call today? One of our experts will be happy to evaluate your home energy efficiency, and offer recommendations to improve it, or make an appointment for seasonal preventive maintenance. Serving the Phoenix Valley area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the Phoenix Valley area of Arizona about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).