If you’re in the market for a new water heater, it might be in your best interest to choose a completely different model from the one you currently have. Use these tips to help you select the best water heater for your Arizona home.
- Choose the style: You can pick from conventional storage tanks, tankless water heaters, pump-powered heaters, solar-powered heaters, hybrid electric and point-of-use water heaters. If you currently have a conventional storage tank, these other choices may prove more energy efficient.
- Pick a fuel: The most common fuel for storage and tankless water heaters is natural gas. Other available fuels include electricity, oil, propane, geothermal energy and solar power. The style of water heater you choose largely dictates the fuel options you have to choose from.
- Consider the capacity: Sizing your new water heater is very important. If you choose one that’s too large, it won’t run efficiently, while a unit that’s too small won’t keep up with your hot water needs. Sizing methods differ depending on the style of water heater you choose, but it’s largely based on the gallons per minute you require at a designated temperature.
- Research energy efficiency: Storage tank water heaters are typically the least efficient, but most mainstream option. As such, you may want to consider a more efficient style. You can compare the efficiency of different fuels and the performance of specific models against one another. The more efficient your new water heater is, the faster it will pay for itself in energy savings.
- Learn about the features: Advanced features help you get more out of your investment. Look for digital displays, smaller physical dimensions, safety features, self-cleaning capabilities, high recovery speed, auto shutoff valve and other features important to you.
- Weigh the costs: While more efficient water heaters may require a higher upfront investment, lower utility bills deliver savings over the lifetime of the unit. This means paying a little more now could benefit your monthly expenditure for years to come.
For more tips on shopping for a new water heater, please contact Wolff Mechanical. We’ve been proudly serving Central Arizona residents and businesses since 1990.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the Phoenix Valley area of Arizona about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).