The Arizona summers make it difficult and expensive to keep your home cool and comfortable. The cost of energy is rising constantly, and homeowners like to stretch their energy dollars whenever possible. Take advantage of these no- or low-cost A/C operating tips to keep your home cool and comfortable:
Keep an eye on the thermostat
- Develop good thermostat habits. Turn the temperature up when the house is empty and while you’re sleeping.
- Consider installing a programmable thermostat for more efficiency.
- Learn to keep the temperature a little higher than usual. For every degree you raise the temperature you will save 3 to 5 percent of your cooling bill.
- Fans, especially ceiling fans, will move the cool air around better and create a cooler atmosphere by moving air over your skin.
- Do not leave fans running in empty rooms. Fans only cool the skin by creating a wind-chill effect, and they will have no cooling effect on an empty room.
Shade and fresh air
- Install window treatments to keep the sunshine out and reduce the effects of solar gain.
- If the outside temperature is cool enough, open the windows.
Turn the lights off
- Whenever possible, turn lights off.
- Keep lamps away from thermostats — the heat will make your system run unnecessarily.
Take care of equipment
- Keep your HVAC system in good working order.
- Clean all grilles and vents.
- Check outdoor equipment for free airflow.
Don’t add heat to the house
- Avoid using the oven while the A/C is on.
- Exchange incandescent bulbs for compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs).
- Use bathroom and kitchen exhaust fans to remove heat and humidity.
These simple and cheap A/C operating tips will help lower your cooling bill and still allow you to be comfortable during the Arizona summer.
If you would like more A/C operating tips, please contact the experts at Wolff Mechanical. We proudly serve the Phoenix area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about A/C operating tips and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Wolff Mechanical services the Phoenix Valley area in Arizona. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!